Main content starts here, tab to start navigating

Below are several resources that might be useful during these uncertain times. This is not a comprehensive list, but hopefully will provide a starting point to find support. The resources included here are not endorsed by Independent Restaurant Coalition (IRC) and the IRC is not responsible for the content of or service provided by any of the resources below.

Emergency Funds for Restaurant Employees

Southern Smoke Foundation provides funding to individuals in the food and beverage industry who are in crisis.

Another Round Another Rally  issues emergency aid to hospitality workers facing unanticipated hardships and reimbursement grants and immersive educational scholarships that further the education of historically excluded voices in the community.

The US Bartenders Guild has compiled state specific lists of organizations providing food, utility and medical assistance.

National directory of rental assistance programs

Mental Health Resources

Immediate Support:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). On their website, they also have live chat options.

Crisis Text Line can be reached by texting HOME to 741741.

Samaritans Hope Hotline can be reached via call or text at (877) 870-HOPE (4673).

Mental Health America has many additional resources for immediate help.

Ongoing Support:

Inclusive Therapists offers a list a list of reduced fee tele-health therapists.

Open Path Collective offers a lifetime membership of $59 and session rates of $30-$60/session.

Talk Space offers a variety of remote therapy through video, calls and messaging. 

Chefs with Issues a facebook group dedicated to providing an online space for people in the industry to share, connect and support each other.

Addiction Support:

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of people who come together to solve their drinking problem.  It doesn’t cost anything to attend A.A. meetings. There are no age or education requirements to participate. Membership is open to anyone who wants to do something about their drinking problem.  Visit the resource page on this site, or download the meeting finder app.

Ben’s Friends is a community of chefs, bartenders, line cooks, servers, sommeliers, host and hostesses, GMs and owners who have found or are seeking sobriety. Nation-wide zoom meetings daily at 1pm ET, or evening meetings at 11pm ET every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) has a Disaster Distress Helpline you can reach at 1-800-985-5990. You can also text “TalkWithUs” to 66746. For support in Spanish, Call 1-800-985-5990 and press "2". From the 50 States, text “Hablanos” to 66746. From Puerto Rico, text “Hablanos” to 1-787-339-2663.

Face it Together confidential, peer coaching for those impacted by addiction, including loved ones. They provide low or no cost coaching.

Financial Guidance

Business Owners:

Chapter 7 information from US courts. This chapter allows for "liquidation" of nonexempt property and the distribution of the proceeds to creditors. 

Chapter 11 Information from US courts. This chapter allows for reorganization, usually involving a corporation or partnership. A business owner usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time. People in business or individuals can also seek relief in chapter 11.

Information on closing or selling your business from the SBA. Site has information on how to connect with local guidance in planning an exit strategy, as well as self evaluation tools for setting a market value for your business.

Personal Financial Guidance:

Credit Counseling Guidance from the Federal Trade Commission

Federally approved credit counselors from the Justice Department

National Foundation for Credit Counseling Blog provides guidance on a wide variety of issues on credit counseling and debt management.

Bankruptcy Information from the Department of Justice:  Please note this sheet provides general information about the process but it is not complete and seeking legal guidance is recommended.